Guidelines for Foreigners Visiting Kolkata
Kolkata Police would like to make your visit to our exciting city as pleasant and safe as possible. You can help us further by following these simple tips while touring Kolkata.
- Carry your wallet in an inside jacket pocket or side trouser pocket, never in the rear pocket.
- Carry pocketbooks in the bend of your elbow, held close to your body. If there is a long strap, wrap it around the bag. Carry credit cards and cash in your pockets.
- Keep pocketbooks on your lap when dining out, not dangling over the back of a chair. Avoid placing pocketbooks on hooks on the back of a fitting room or bathroom door, where someone can easily reach over and removed them.
- Leave valuables and important papers, such as jewelry and passports, secured in your hotel's safe deposit box. Never leave these items unattended in your room or carry large sums or cash on your person.
- Be wary of unexpected persons coming to your hotel room. Never open the door to unsolicited room service or maintenance people. Contact the front desk if you have any doubts.
- If you schedule a meeting with a potential client, research the company and the individual with whom you are meeting. Meet in a public place such as a restaurant.
- Make sure that luggage only given to a member of the hotel's bell staff and a receipt is issued for stored luggage. Never leave luggage or other expensive items, unattended at Airport or Taxi Stands.
- Prefer Prepaid Taxi Booth for hired transportation. In this system you have to pay in advance for Taxi Fare which is already approved by Department of Transport, Govt. of West Bengal for each destination in Kolkata.
- Adequate number of police officers are deputed in proper uniform outside the Arrival Hall and Parking area. You can contact nearest police officer to intimate about undesirable elements and touts in your observation. However, police is taking utmost care, vigilance and surveillance over these elements, still it is felt that we can eliminate these elements effectively with passengers active participation in the drive.
- In addition to above, police officers in plain clothes are also deputed to keep watch on suspicious movements. Therefore, you should never entertain he touts and unscrupulous persons to avoid harassment.
- Preplan your destination in Kolkata regarding your stay and tourism in Kolkata. Never take advice of unknown persons regarding your stay / tourism in Kolkata. Please strict information from Police Officers on duty.
- If you face any harassment or law and order problem in Kolkata, you can dial :
Talk to Us (Toll free numbers) [Contact Us]
Dial 100 - for Emergency.
Dial 1090 - to give any information to police.
Dial 1073 - for Traffic related issue.